BLUE RIDGE, TEXAS:
The town of Blue Ridge has been the center of activity in Northeast Collin County for over 100 years and has long been known for its progressive farmers and businessmen. The town is situated on a hill about nine miles north of Farmersville and is on the Matthiss Mowry survey, which was granted to him by the Republic of Texas for services rendered in the War of Independence against Mexico.
Blue Ridge got its name from a ridge just outside the city that was covered with beautiful blue flowers every season. First known as Pull `n Tug, the name was changed to Blue Ridge when the first post office was established in 1860. William Worden was the first postmaster.
First settlers on the site were I. D. Sellers and Henry Eakle, who came there in 1873 and farmed the land where the city is now. The first store was a one-room log cabin just to the south of the present square. William and James Moyers operated it. The next year, 1874, a one-room log cabin school was started near the store with Sam McKinney as teacher. He held classes twice a week.
J. A. Barnett started the first cotton gin in 1877. This gin was operated until 1934, one of the longest continued run of any business in the county. The First Methodist Church was organized in 1880 with the reverend M. Gentry as pastor. The first school there opened in 1886 and was taught by Jim Gober in a log house equipped with peg legged benches. The town was moved two blocks in 1898 to its present location. The first brick building was erected in 1909.
In 1915 the Greenville and Whitewright Northern Traction Company built a rail line spanning the 12 miles from Blue Ridge to Anna, a nearby town. The line was abandoned in only five years. A tornado just east of Blue Ridge killed seven people on April 9, 1919.
The first good road was to Melissa in 1920 and in 1922 the hard surface road was built from Bonham through Blue Ridge to Farmersville. Blue Ridge received its electric lights in 1929.
The town was incorporated in 1933 with a population of about 500. In 1937 the streets and the square were black topped and by 1939 Blue Ridge had a $30,000 high school with 18 teachers and $30,000 water works system.
Much of the content of the above article is attributed to Roy F. Hall
Have a Question?
ABOUT FATHOM REALTY
Fathom Realty is a real estate company you can trust to place your interests first, a company that values honesty and integrity throughout the entire organization.
“Whoever wants to be great must become a servant.”
Real Estate. The Right Way.
© Hilary Meader, YourTexasDream.com